Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thoughts of my mother...

My visit to CA was such a meaningful visit. I spent a lot of time with my sister Lisa just chit chatting like we always have. It felt so good being with her and my nieces Bella and Maggie. Lisa and I have had to lean on one another since Mom and Dad are no longer with us, and if anything, it has brought us closer even though we live 900 miles apart (I hope that will change one day soon...I do miss CA).

When I was in CA Lisa and I took our children to Los Angeles... we had lunch at the San Antonio Winery, then we found our way to The Mercado in East Los Angeles. Oh how that brought back so many memories for us. Our parents used to take us there when we were young and Lisa and I thought it was the greatest thing. We would get Mexican candy, "Raspadas" (Snowcones) and we loved looking at all the cochinadas"(inexpensive toys that would break by the time you got home). My loving son Andrew had never been there before and he was silent as we drove through East L.A. It was a culture shock for him. He got a kick out of hearing Lisa and I reminiscing about our childhood. We went into the Mercado and he was amazed of all the little shops and restaurants. He got a pair of Jordan shoes and Bella got a pair of pink sandals which were made in Mexico. Maggie got a "cochinada" toy and everyone was happy with their purchases. The whole time were were at the Mercado I was thinking of my Mom. She went to the Mercado to buy her Mexican herbs, spices, and medicine. The biggest treat for Mom was buying pan dulce (Mexican sweet bread) and a cup of coffee. She loved going to the Mercado in the mornings because the pan dulce was warm. It was those little things that made my mother so happy. Lisa and I both love pan dulce, but I have to say, Lisa has a love for it more than I do. Her eyes light up just like Mom's when she has her piece of pan dulce and a hot cup of coffee.

We then went to our childhood home in Bell, CA and drove around Bell showing Andrew where we went to school, our favorite hangout, Newberry's, and Sav-ons, and then we showed him the house we grew up in. We even showed him the church where we made our Communion and I made my Confirmation at. Again, I thought of my Mom... she was very devoted to her Catholic Faith and made sure Lisa and I completed our Sacraments and attended CCD classes at our parish. There was only one Religion in my Mom's eyes... I was about 10 years old and a friend of mine belonged to a "Non-Catholic" Church... I went to church with my friend on a Saturday Night and when I went home I told my mom how nice the service was. She didn't say a word to me, but when I told her that I wanted to go back to my friends church she looked at me and told me loud and clear, "NO! That was all she had to say and the next day we were at Mass at our parish at 8:00a.m. I never attended a "Non-Catholic" Church as a kid!

The above picture is a photo of my Mom Helen in her younger days... isn't she a looker?! Well, it is now time for me to make my coffee, and have my pan dulce, then I will light my candle and pray my Rosary... hmm? Think Helen had an impact on my life?

2 comments:

Elena's Girl said...

Great post! I miss mom. I'm sending Al to get some Pan Dulce tonight! I like the font and colors you have on the blog...very stylish!

Norma said...

Love your blog, Syl. I loved your mom so much