Sunday, October 26, 2008

Say Hello to Limoncello!


Gene and I bought a bottle of Limoncello at Trader Joe's last night and was it ever yummy but potent! I have always been curious about Limoncello after watching Samantha Brown's Getaway Travel Show on the Travel Channel . She visited Sorrento Italy and met the master of Limoncello making. She visited his Lemon orchard which are known to make the best Limoncello. Then one day I was watching The View and Danny DeVito was on the show and he was drunk! He said he had been drinking Limoncello the night before with George Clooney. He said they had shared a bottle together. I thought, "How can anyone get drunk with a few glasses of alcohol mixed with lemon"... Gene and I now understand why.


We bought a bottle of Villa Massa Limoncello and it is made with Sorrento Lemons. We just had a small shot and POW! It is tangy and it warms your body as the liqueur goes down your throat. One glass was all we needed for the night. I felt warm and tangy the rest of night. I even called my sister close to midnight to ask her a question and didn't even realize what time it was. I woke her up and could not apologize enough to her. Needless to say both Gene and I slept like babies. I have decided that Limoncello is my new drink! You can mix it with Champagne and also make desserts with it. Isn't that a hoot!


I like discovering new types of drinks. Having a 17 year old one needs to be a little numb to get through the daily challenges of raising a teenager. Things like chocolate, wine, waffles with strawberries, and now Limoncello do help to get me though those challenging days. So, if you have not experience Limoncello, I recommend you do. If you are stressed at work, your husband is getting on your nerves, your kids are driving you bonkers or you just need to celebrate another day of living, Limoncello is the drink for you! So to you my dear friends, Salude! Have a great Sunday and if you have a chance to get to Trader Joes, pick up a bottle of Villa Massa Limoncello, put it in the freezer, and pour a small glass for yourself or mix it with a glass of champagne and everything will come up roses, or should I say Lemons!

2 comments:

Elena's Girl said...

I LOVE LIMONCELLO! My freezer is never without a bottle. Tamie first turned me onto the very one you bought. Isn't is wonderful? You can add it to the french market lemonade they sell at TJ too and it is so good. Did you know you can make Limoncello mojitos? OMG...so good. Tam found the recipe on one of her bottles. Cheers to you! Great post and I love your new blog design!

Tamie said...

Lisa beat me to it. If your bottle came with a little recipe book necklace try the mojitos! They're spectacular--but more cooling like for summer.