Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead)

Today is Los Dia de Los Muertos and I am celebrating the lives of my Mother and Father by sharing funny stories about them...and there were many, listening to their favorite music, cooking traditional Mexican food and for dessert, chocolate cake (those of you that knew my father, a meal wasn't complete unless it ended with chocolate cake).

I will not go into grand detail about the history of Dia de Los Muertos, that is what Google is for, but I will tell you that this day means a lot to me... not only is it part of my Mexican Heritage it is part of the Catholic faith which I treasure dearly.

I celebrate the Day of the Dead with my students and they made altars for their loved one(s) who died. We even made sugar skulls in art class! It was a great lesson that they enjoyed and was wonderful for me to share my parents lives and explain the tradition of "The Day" as I call it, with my 2nd graders. We all had a great time and they were so proud of their altars.

So today, think of your loved ones with laughter, song, and food! Keep them alive in your heart!
DECORATED SUGAR SKULLS


Altars made by students

1 comment:

Elena's Girl said...

Wow! Those are awesome altars your students made! I love the sugar skulls too. Mom and Dad were definitely in my heart today. I was at Targeta and heard Christmas music from a little box and almost lost it. Christmas is mom to me. I passed in front of Border's about half an hour ago just to think of dad. I stared in at the coffee bar he was so happy to sit at...it brought tears to my eyes. I also thought of Alan. I heard a song that reminds me of him while I was driving home...a Stylistics song. I still get sad that he only got to live for 22 years. I have to admit that I got kind of down so now I am going to spend the evening with my beautiful daughters who keep me in the present and focused on the future...and just make me happy! Then when they are asleep...a simple pleasure...Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters.